Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Beautiful Books: Introduce Your Novel


beautiful books
questions


~What inspired your novel, and how long have you had it?
Hmm, well, I have had it for a few months now. I was working on a short story, a Beauty and the Beast retelling, early this spring and while trying to make it longer, I decided I wanted to write the story of one of my minor characters-a wolf. (realizes how long a sentence that was). Long story short, I used Red Riding Hood as part of my inspiration, and thus Changeling, and its prequel(s) and sequel, were born.

~Describe what your novel is about.
I'm horrible at summaries, but I will do my best to somewhat explain my novel to you. The main character is a halfling (part changeling and part human) she can turn into the form of a wolf, and is marked by the color of her eyes. She was trained to be the queen's personal guard and assassin, and hunts down those rebelling against the crown. When she goes undercover to find the rumored heir who can take the kingdom away from her queen, she seeks to find out who it is, and then kill the heir (is it bad that I want to insert a: dun, dun, DUN!) In the end, she has to decide what is truly right. Going with what she has always known, or what she has just discovered.

~What is your book's aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
*grabs some photos and quotes*



~Introduce us to each of your characters!
Tayliss: She is awesome. I love her a lot, and hope that I can potray her well She had a rough life, and because of an event in her past, she is bent on avenging her family. She is an assassin, part changeling, and finds it hard to trust or show her emotions.
Zane: He was what started my thoughts on Changeling. I still have a lot to discover about him, (he just won't share all of his story with me just yet) and so this will make draft 2 a bit difficult because he hasn't fully opened up. But he definitely care about others, and does his best to protect those under him.
The Queen: She is my villain, and I love her...Not love, love, but if you're a writer, you'll understand. She came up during the middle of NaNo, and I was like "YES! This is an awesome antagonist." It was even better because she is how I'll get one of my main twists in the sequel *super excited*

I have some other great characters, but don't want to give too much away. Hopefully you'll like them if you get to read it. :)

~How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc?)
I read Red Riding Hood, but mostly I thought about some cool ideas I have been saving, went on Pinterest and pulled some pictures to show some of my ideas. I outlined as much as I could, but this story turned out to be more of the work of a pantser than plotter/ :/ I was grasping for new scenes while doing NaNo, but I loved what came out of it- at least, what will. It's still in the rough draft form. XP

~What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
The feels. At least, I hope there will be some great emotions in this book. I am really excited for this story, and can't wait to begin my second draft. I am mainly looking forward to actually finishing this story, and to share it.

~List 3 things about your novel's setting
caves, mountains, dreams  (I think that is how I am suppose to answer it??)

~What's your character's goal, and who (or what) stands in the way?
One's goal is revenge, and the Changelings stand in the way- as well as the heir. The other's is to protect, and the Red Guard are in danger of finding his charge.

~How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
In short, she realized that revenge isn't right, and how to put others before her.

~What are your book's themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
The themes? I guess....trust, friendship, and truth.
I want the readers to feel like they could somewhat relate to the characters, but learn from the story too. Reaction wise, I want my readers to be like "WHAT?! It's not over?!"  XD I wrote the finish, but I'm still deciding on a couple of things that may or may not make my readers shun me.

There is still a lot in the works, but even just writing these answers just makes me excited. Even if I have a lot of work in front of me XD

                                                                ****

So what do you think? Does it sound intriguing? Any general thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

7 comments:

  1. OK I WANT THIS PLEASE RIGHT NOW. It sounds a-maz-ing!!

    Also I have a story that gives me a similar aesthetic ;) its based off of Beauty and the Beast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *grins* glad you like it! It's gonna be a while before it's ready to be read, but I will be posting some snippets soon. :)
      Oh cool! Yeah, Beauty and the Beast is what inspired this as well, but it was a dragon, not a wolf :)

      Delete
  2. Marrok M, sorry about your comment disappearing. I had to redo the post because of some stuff.What does your name mean?
    As for the book, it'll be a novel, but the prequels will probably be novella's if not shorter.
    What book does it remind you of?
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem it totally understand :)
      Well the name Marrok means "A knight thought to be a werewolf" But before you get all weirded out in in Celtic legend they are called Faoladh and a Faoladh was a shape-sifter who was said to protect children and stand guard over wounded men. So that is how it reminds me of my name.
      That sounds cool!
      Well it reminds me loosely of some books called Grey Griffins by Derek Benz and J. S. Lewis

      Delete
  3. Your book sounds amazing, Soleil!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments always make my day