Thursday, January 19, 2017

Taking the ACT // How I Survived




I know that a lot of people will be taking their ACT or SAT pretty soon. I happened to have taken mine in October, and it was quite the experience. So I thought I would just share a few tips.

~ PRAY
Whether you plan to attend college, or just taking the test and will have to give the score for when you apply for jobs, you want to have a reasonably good score to show. It may sound strange to pray for just a test, but this isn't just a normal test. It is very hard, and it will show all your weak-points. You want to do your best, and to glorify God in your life, so when you're having a hard time opening the study book, send up a quick prayer that God will help you remember and study well for the ACT/SAT.

~READ AND STUDY
It's hard to pick up your study tools and want to use them. It's repetitive and exhausting. But, it will make a difference. There are many tips and tricks that can make a difference for when you take the test (I recommend getting a few different books for studying. I took a class, but then had other things on top of what I did there) So whether its books, practice tests, online class, flashcards do as much as you can that is formatted in the way of the test.

~PREPARE
Take a prep class. You'll be able to learn some tips about the test. If you know of an area where you are weak at, get a tutor. Maybe you can't have a personal tutor for much time, but even a day or two can make a huge difference. I am really weak at math, so I went to a tutor two times about a week and a half before my test and it made a difference. Don't think you don't have enough to get help. Anything is better then nothing.



~BE ON TIME
Make sure you are at your designated test center on time, if not a few minutes early. I got there before they opened, so I had time to get to my class, drink water, go the bathroom, etc. Don't bring your phone in, or at least turn it completely off. I left mine in the car just so that way there wouldn't be any complications.

~BREAK
Bring some water and a snack. You'll be there for a while, so there's no need to try and become dehydrated. If you're like me, you probably won't be hungry before hand, but having a snack is good.

~SKIM
Don't read all of the long paragraphs that are there for the problems. Skim through them and underline/circle anything you think will be important. For area's like the Science and English, I read the questions first, and skimmed through for the answers. Of course, you'll want to be sure, but if you take the time to read every single word on your document, you will run out of time.

~ANSWER EVERYTHING
Even if you are only halfway through one of the sections and are almost out of time, take the remaining couple of minutes and circle in the remaining answers. Even if it's wrong that's okay. You don't have any deductions for wrong answers, and if you get one right, well, that's worth it for sure.

~TOOLS
Calculator- make sure you bring the right calculator, and an extra one. (don't want it to die on you!) You want to make sure you calculator is high tech enough to help you with as many problems as possible, but not to where you can't bring it in because it remembers all the equations and stuff. So make sure you check to see if your calculator is what is allowed before hand.
Pencils -they very are important. That is what you are using the entire time. I brought a whole box of pencils I sharpened before hand, so I had a pencil per test, and then more just in case the world ended and all but one broke.  :)


So there are some tips for you. Hope you find some of them helpful (perhaps I should do "how to study post" that is totally comical and not helpful at all? XD)

1 comment:

Comments always make my day